Beacon Fire & Security are now certified in the installation and maintenance of fire extinguishers
It is now a legal requirement to have all fire extinguishers tested at least once a year.
There are various types of fires;
- Class A - Solids like paper or wood;
- Class B - Flammable liquids like petrol;
- Class C - Flammable gases like butane or propane;
- Class D - Combustable metals for example magnesium;
- Class E - Fires involving electrical apparatus;
- Class F - Fires involving cooking material like olive oil.
There are different fire extinguishers for different fires:
- Water fire extinguishers are most common and cheapest but they can only be used for class A fires. These are coded red;
- Foam fire extinguishers are more versatile because you can use them on class A and B fires. These are coded cream;
- Dry Powder fire extinguishers are often called ‘multi-purpose’ fire extinguishers. Although they are best for Class B fires, they can be used on all A, B and C fires. These are coded Blue;
- CO2 fires are ideal for class F fires, but they have no post fire security so the fire could re-ignite. These are coded Black;
- Halon fire extinguishers are used for class D fires but they are now illegal except the police and military. They are Green;
Here are some helpful videos: